This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
Drexel in Scotland: Edinburgh Fringe Study Tour
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Restrictions:||Drexel applicants only|
|Class Eligibility:||Freshman, Junior, Sophomore||Eligible Majors:||All Majors, Entertainment & Arts Mgmt|
|Type of Program:||Study Tour||Housing Options:||Apartment|
|Program Advisor:||Ahaji Schreffler|
The ProgramThe Edinburgh Fringe program is open to ALL students interested in experiencing the world’s largest arts festival, the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. Edinburgh, Scotland hosts multiple overlapping festivals including: The International Festival (the best opera, ballet, dance, theater, music and orchestras from all over the world), Jazz and Blues Festival, Book Festival, Art Festival, and the largest of all - the Edinburgh Fringe hosting over 41,000 performances of over 2,500 different shows. The Edinburgh Fringe holds the Guinness Book of World Records for the world’s largest art festival.
Students will attend lectures and workshops by a variety of experienced professionals in the subject, and be able to attend multiple performing and visual art shows. Coursework will offer students the chance to attend international networking opportunities, as well as the entire festival being a networking opportunity for students interested in any aspect of the arts. Classes will also include day trips to sites in Edinburgh, St. Andrews and Stirling. Students are welcome to stay in Edinburgh just for the length of the class, or the entire month of August.
The AcademicsFaculty Director: The program is led by Dr. Xela Batchelder, who has over 17 years of experience as a venue manager, producer and researcher at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
Program Coursework: (students may take at most 2 courses)
EAM 465: Structures of the Edinburgh Fringe (3 credits)
EAM 465: Management, Marketing & Research at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe (3 credits)
THTR 380: Edinburgh Fringe Theatre: Let's Go! (3 credits)
Program Calendar Summer 2013:Freshmen applicants will participate during their vacation summer term. Sophomores and juniors must obtain approval from their summer term co-op employer to participate in the program.
All courses are taught as a hybrid: online and in Edinburgh (two weeks required on site.)
The online component will run for the duration of Drexel's summer term.
Students are welcome to stay in Edinburgh for the length of the class, or the entire month of August.
Program Fee Summer 2013: $1,900 which includes:• Apartment accommodation within walking distance of all major attractions
• Class field trips: including train or bus tickets and castle entrance fees
• Walking tours
• Required special speakers/lectures (if applicable)
• Required workshops (if applicable)
• Onsite staff support during the length of class
Payment Schedule Summer 2013:• Due by April 12th, 2013 – Non-refundable Advanced Payment of $500
• Due by May 15th, 2013 – Second payment: $700
• Due by June 15th, 2013 – Final payment: $700
*All program fee payments are only refundable if student is not accepted or program cancels due to low enrollment.
NOT included in program fee:• Round trip airfare: approx $1,200
• Meals: approx $5 to $20 per meal, lower for grocery shopping
• Passport Fees: $135
• OnCall Emergency Insurance: $36
• Spending Money: approx $300
• Show tickets: There are many free shows and depending on which class students take, they will have opportunities to earn free tickets. Students taking “Let’s Go Edinburgh Fringe!” class should allocate at least $170 for tickets.
• Drexel Tuition: Most Drexel students can work with the Study Abroad office and the Program Director to reduce/avoid additional tuition fees for the course(s) taken on this program.
|Dates / Deadlines:|
There are currently no active application cycles for this program.