Drexel Summer Break in Haiti: Creative Writing Intensive
The focus of the Haiti Creative Writing Intensive is to understand the role of creative writing (fiction and poetry) in creating grassroots change. The trip is based in Port-Au-Prince and nearby towns where you will meet with change makers: authors, artists and musicians and have the opportunity to view their work and hear their stories in person to fuel your dreams.
Mornings will be spent in writing workshops. In the afternoon, you will meet with world renown Haitian authors, as well as participate in creative writing sessions with local emerging writers. A highlight of the trip are our meetings at the PEN Haiti mansion, which is the new home of PEN Haiti--a successful literary center--after the original building was destroyed in the earthquake. Among our activities at PEN Haiti is a special session with PEN Haiti's President and founding officers. Students will also have the experience of meeting the children of Love Orphanage, learning about key issues that children face in Haiti.
The Haiti Creative Writing Intensive is designed as an optional add on to WRIT 304 and ENG 103 taught by Professor Harriet Millan, but is open to ALL students in the Certificate Program in Writing and Publishing, as well as English majors or minors, and students studying Arts Management, Screenwriting or Playwriting, French or International Area Studies. Other interested majors should contact t
he Study Abroad Office before applying. You must have a keen interest in studying creative writing to participate in this trip.
To learn more about this program, read Prof. Millan's article featured on PEN about the first Haiti Tour in June 2013 as well as a Drexel article that interviewed one of the first participants.
The Drexel group will also spend two afternoons with the children of Love Orphanage and participate in a fundraising campaign and supply drive to help support their needs.
"...My experience in Haiti has changed my life. It is one that I will never forget. Thank you for giving me the opportunity..." Parker Bell, Business major
"...The week in Haiti is truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience and one that no one should pass up!" Kerri Heard, Global Journalism major
Select readings of Haitian poetry and fiction, essays, and articles will be assigned prior to the program. While in Haiti, students will participant in writing workshops, independent writing, and peer critique sessions, which will culminate in final creative writing assignments to be submitted at the end of the program.
Students will be registered for 1 credit for WRIT T280 Haiti Creative Writing Intensive as part of summer term registration. Interested students can receive 3 credits as part of an independent study that continues after the trip. Credits may be applied toward the Certificate in Writing and Publishing and elective credits.
Professor Harriet Millan, Director of Drexel's Certificate Program in Creative Writing and Publishing
Arrival Date: Sunday, June 16, 2019
Departure Date: Saturday, June 23, 2019
*Dates tentative. Final dates to be confirmed.
- Visits and poetry workshop at PEN Haiti Literary House
- Activities with the children of Love Orphanage
- Creative writing workshops with local emerging writers
- Guest lectures/workshops with several Haitian Authors
- Creative writing with ESL students at Haitian American Caucus
- Vodou Rock music concert at the famed Oloffson Hotel
- Day at the beach
Due March 1st: $650 Advance Payment
Due May 1st: $1,300 Final Payment
*All payments are non-refundable unless declined admission or program cancels for unforeseen reasons.
Included in Program Fee:
- R/T group flight from NYC to Port-au-Prince
- Lodging (double or triple room with Drexel students)
- Airport pick-up / drop-off in Port-au-Prince
- In-country transportation (private van and driver)
- Hot breakfast daily
- Welcome & Farewell dinners, some lunches
- Writing workshops & related activities
- Music concert cover charge
- Beach entrance fee
- Translator fees
- On Call emergency evacuation insurance
Not Included in Program Fee:
ICA Financial Aid:
- Most lunches and dinners (approx. $200)
- Spending money for bottled water and souvenirs (approx. $50)
- Group airport shuttle to/from JFK airport (approx. $75 - $100)
- Tourist entry fee ($10)
- Passport ($135)
Students may request an Adjusted Cost of Attendance by submitting the ICA program fee and estimated out of pocket expenses listed above to Drexel Central (via askdrexel). Doing so could make students’ eligible for additional financial aid. Students may also be eligible to apply for Drexel's ICA Scholarships
- Accommodations: The Drexel group will have double or triple occupancy rooms at Le Plaza Hotel, a lovely, locally owned hotel in the heart of Port-au-Prince. Le Plaza Hotel has two restaurants and a pool on the premises, as well as free wi-fi. Buffet hot breakfast is served daily and included in the program fee.
- Visa: US citizens are not required to have a visa. Non-US citizens should check the Haitian Embassy website to confirm whether a visa is required and also notify Drexel ISSS of their plans to travel abroad.